"Gather ye rose buds while ye may,
| || |
Mycala, my oldest daughter, treated me to a 1 1/2 hour massage for Mother's Day. The experience was self indulgent and not something I would do for myself. Maybe I need to rethink that!
Even before the masseuse began the session, my senses were stimulated. A very delicate fragrance of lavender permeated the air. An instrumental background selection was the perfect choice. I melted into the softness of the sheets on the massage table, cocooned under the weightless blanket.
All of this, followed by ninety minutes of skilled attention to knead and relax muscle tissue transported me to a meditative state. I stopped thinking about what was next. I became reminded that I can shift to be in the moment in an instant, simply make the choice to pause and be aware of the gifts of this moment, right now.
There is a Zen saying, "Don't hurry. Ever." In today's world we can feel rushed, pushed and pulled, and don't often allow ourselves that gift. When we slow down and experience the present moment, we can become aware of so many pleasures that will soothe our souls. We can enhance our experiences through fragrances, music, textures, thoughts and soothing sights. How can you make your home or office more spa-like? Flowers, scented candles, a favorite hand lotion, soothing music, inspirational quotes, a favorite painting, and soft throws can bring our focus to beauty.
My Mother's Day gift will live with me beyond the delightful experience. It will remind me to proactively integrate more delightful experiences into my life. Thank you Mycala!
Mycala knows I love flavored waters! This is one of my birthday presents - a Fruit Infusion Pitcher. It came with a book called Cool Waters which contains "50 refreshing, healthy, homemade thirst quenchers". Everything they recommend is natural and healthy with no sweeteners or processed products in any of the recipes. I can hardly wait to create some recipes with fresh herbs!
The session on water is below, first with the rationale and followed with the action step.
Thank you Mycala! Tomorrow - Strawberry Apple Ginger!
Drink a full glass 30 minute before you eat.
You'll be amazed how much it fills you up and you'll eat less!
Take the Rose Instead - Water
If you need to be reminded, or would like additional incentive to drink regularly throughout out the day, consider these reasons to drink water.
- Water flushes impurities out of our systems.
- It helps us maintain a neutral Ph 7, strengthening our immune system.
- It contributes to weight loss by suppressing the appetite. Drink a glass of water 30 minutes before you eat. You'll be amazed how much it fills you up and you'll eat less.
- One of the leading causes of headaches is becoming dehydrated. The glass of water may be as, or even more, beneficial than the pain reliever you are taking to relieve your headache. Next time, take a glass of water first, wait 15 minutes and see if you still need the pill.
- It keeps cells plumb and moisturized, giving a more youthful look.You’ll be less likely to get dry skin, psoriasis, eczema, and even wrinkles.
- Drinking enough water increases your metabolic rate.
- Water has the ability to dilute cancer causing agents and has been credited with reducing bladder and colon cancer.
- I drink a glass of water as soon as I get that “I’m hungry” feeling. Stopping for water fills my stomach and allows me to assess if I really need food, or if there is something else going on. I am committed to drinking water daily but my biggest challenge is that I lose count! So I have a simple solution.
- Simple and effective. I rarely had enough water when I poured one glass at a time! This way I can easily see how much more there is to drink and pace myself.
- You may chose earthen ware pottery, cut glass crystal, a funky modern blown glass - chose a container that delights you as you reach for it.
- Then use your imagination to make your water even more enticing. Sliced cucumbers and mint, or lemon slices and borage flowers will take it to another level!
"My mission is
to help others see and cherish the beauty,
romance and treasures within and around them
that are often dismissed or completely overlooked."
Lessons From Nature
Pay It Forward
Take The Rose Instead